Thursday, July 31, 2008

The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford

(2007)

Alexis says:

3.5 STARS

I grew up hearing the story of Jesse James assassination. I knew more about James' murder than what made him infamous. I didn't even know the name Robert Ford (or at least remembered it) until this movie came out. I found this movie to be very educational and well acted. Affleck has maybe never been better but then I haven't viewed Gone Baby Gone yet. Pitt was his usual impressive self. Overall this film was pretty good. The only problem I found was that it felt more like a History Channel film than a Hollywood release, which isn't bad but could explain why it didn't do well at the box office. The movie was a little slow at times which wasn't bad except the movie was a little long to begin with. The story which is based on a book about the assassination is sad. I found myself feeling bad for both James and Ford.



Despite the slow pace at times this movie is worth watching.



Todd Says:



4.5 STARS



I really liked this movie. I liked that it was based on true events. I liked that it didn't play out like a typical Hollywood movie. I liked that I wasn't sure who I was supposed to feel bad for. I liked that it was refreshingly original.



This is a movie about two motivated and deeply disturbed men whose paths intersect leading to a tragic outcome. Both main characters, Jesse James and Robert Ford, will have you despising them and pitying them mostly at different times, but sometimes simultaneously.



This isn't a movie for everyone. It does movie at a creeping pace, and last a long time. It is short on action and heavy on atmosphere. It is historical, and not fantastical at all. It is somber throughout, and deeply moody. But it is a good movie, looking for a worthy audience to appreciate it.

No comments: