Sunday, July 6, 2008

An Officer and a Gentleman


(1982)

Todd Says:


2.5 STARS


This movie is a classic. A classic case of over-acting that is. The story is good, I'll give them that much, but come on people. Was there actually a time in American Cinema where those performances were considered great?


I'm mostly talking about Richard Gere and Mr. Iron Eagles himself - Louis Gossett Jr. I understand that several scenes were suposed to be intense, but give me a break. Were we that hard up for good drama in 1982? An Academy Award?


I'm sorry. I just had to get that off my chest. I do think that this is a good movie. I do think that most people should see it, and a lot of you will enjoy it. But something was just off with it for me. It wasn't my first time watching it, but it seemed really dated last night.


The bottom line: An Officer and a Gentleman is still worth watching.

Alexis says:

3.5 STARS

I enjoy this movie but then again, I enjoyed Urban Cowboy and Terms of Endearment, so maybe I have a thing for Debra Winger something. I think the story is good and the acting is mostly pretty decent. I think I must also have a thing for movies about boot camp or army related training. I had seen this movie several times before and I particularly enjoy the end scene as usual. I am not however, a big fan of Gere (his looks make him a little more tolerable) or Gossett, Jr. but this movie and it's honest story mostly make up for what they lack in talent.

The side story involving David Keith's Sid has always been one of the best things about this movie in my opinion. The women looking to marry a Navy pilot, the poor reasons behind going to officer training and the overall sad state of some people's lives. I think this substory alone is worth viewing the movie.

Classic over-acting an all I think this movie is just that, a classic.

No comments: