Wednesday, July 30, 2008

The Jane Austen Book Club


(2007)
1.5 Stars
Sue says:
The only thing that might be keeping Jane Austen from rolling over in her grave is that she had a sense of humor. Unfortunately I don’t think there’s anything funny about this movie, or that fact that I spent 2 hours watching it.

I believe that the writers were trying to make the characters seem like modern day versions of Jane’s characters. They made an effort, just not a very good one.

What can I say? The acting was poor. The stories contrived. Jimmy Smits was (is?) old. The end. Don’t waste your time. If you love Jane Austen, or you want to get to know her, read a novel.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

You must be very young.
Why is it that some of you youngsters think this movie should have been only about children?
The storyline involving Jimmy Smits (who is 53 and is hotter than any 25 year old) was not one that would work for 20 somethings. (I'd hate to see what you think of 70 year olds). The story involves women of all ages and aspects of their particular timeline. That's a BIG part of the whole thing.

Sue said...

Oh how I wish I were very young.
You must be Jimmy Smits.

The age of the actors in this "film" have nothing to do with the quality, or lack thereof contained in this gem.

I stand by my review.

Anonymous said...

I guess you can call it a review if you wish. You are the one who commented on the (old) age of an actor, so your second post makes no sense.

Jimmy Smits said...

I haven't been called hot in a really long time and who knows if I've ever been in a movie that provoked so much discussion.
Thanks anonymous!

Good thing I Googled myself this morning, I might have missed all of this.

joy n said...

Jimmy Smits will NEVER be too old.

The Running Couple said...

I may never have bothered to see this movie, but now...

I can't wait to check out the steamy hot Jimmy Smits scenes!

Jimmy, did you really google yourself? That is sooo not something an old fogie would do.

-Ward

I think I'm going to google myself now.