Saturday, July 26, 2008

Parenthood

(1989)









Alexis says:









4 STARS







This movie is (at the time of our most recent viewing) 19 years old and yet it hardly seems dated at all. The plotline is as relevent today as it was in 89. This movie centers around one large family and all of their struggles to be good parents and raise healthy, confident kids. The story is well woven and together with spots of drama and comedy explores the adventures and downfalls of parenting, marriage, sibling and parent relationships, and basically all other aspects of day to day life. The movie portrays that life isn't easy, but it can be rewarding as well as surprising. The actors and actresses in the film are well fitted to their roles and most everyone does an overall good job, including Martha Plimpton and Keanu Reeves. I saw this movie several times as a young whipper snapper and always enjoyed it but I think that perhaps my own recent foree into parenthood has made me appreciate the film even more so. But I think that regardless of your familial stance this movie has a lot to offer the casual moviegoer. I think that tears will just come more readily if you are already on the roller coaster.





Todd Says:





4 STARS





So I hadn't seen this movie since I was a know-it-all teenager who could care less about Parenthood, but even then I thought that it was kinda funny. Well, as a new dad I must say that this one moved me, more than I expected it to. O.K., I didn't need tissues, but I did think that it was really touching.





I think that everyone should see this movie, but especially every parent. The situation and jokes seem a lot more relevant when you are already involved in the struggle to not screw up your kids.

No comments: