Friday, August 1, 2008

Waitress

(2007)

Alexis says:

2 STARS

I was not crazy with any of the characters in this romanitc comedy. Most of them seemed selfish, weak minded and shallow on the surface. Then I realized about halfway through, that this is just art imitating life. Many people are like this. With this new frame of mind I was able to endure the second half of the film with much more enjoyment.

The film is funny and the bit about the pies is quirky but in a good way. It makes me want to head to New England and seek out a pie shop for myself. I couldn't quite get past the infedility plotline however, so this movie wasn't what it could have been. I think that Nathan Fillion was pretty good, channeling some of Malcolm Reynolds for me in my thirst for a little Firefly connection and convincing me that he could survive as an actor in Hollywood outside of sci-fi western television shows. Andy Griffith was also superb, probably my favorite thing about the whole movie was his character.

This film isn't great and I was indeed a little disappointed but there were some redeeming qualities to the film and to avoid spoilers I will go ahead and suggest that you watch this one when you have a few hours on hand.

Todd Says:




3 STARS



This movie wasn't bad at all for a Romantic Comedy. If you've learned anything about me by now, you know that I don't care much for this genre and I tend to grade on a fairly generous curve. The story itself isn't great, but I thought that most of the characters were interesting enough to enjoy watching them toil through their respective dilemmas. I thought that Andy Griffith was spectacular, really he was.

Not much else was spectacular, but all in all it was more than tolerable. I would recommend it to fans of the genre, or as a possible date movie, or to anyone who needs to kill a couple of hours and doesn't want to watch The Jane Austen Book Club.

1 comment:

Sue said...

I haven't seen this yet, it's on my list but keeps getting bumped by other movies (like JABC).

People are always saying how good it is, I wonder if it's because all of those people are in the PG club and I find that for what ever reason those most of those movies (PG) don't seem to have much depth.