Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Definitely, Maybe


(2008)

Alexis says:

2 STARS

Have I just outgrown romantic comedies? Are there no good love stories left to be written?

I must admit, I don't mind a romantic comedy every now and again, there are even a few I really enjoy. I was looking forward to this one. I recommended we buy it and watch it almost immediately. Is that why I feel so let down? Is that why I can only bring myself to award 2 stars after my viewing of an OK movie, definitely? Maybe? (I know, cheap shot).

So the story wasn't predictable, but at times I wish it had been and how bad is that? To pray for predictability? I found all of Reynold's hopeful options to be either annoying, whiny, promiscuis, or half a dozen other things that made this film almost hard to watch. As a fan of the romantic comedy of years gone by I found myself wishing I could just change DVD's midway and watch some tride and true Cusack film. But alas, I sat through the whole thing and was a little more than slightly disappointed in who the main character chose as his mate. Especially when they wer not together anymore after ten or fewer years. If you are a hopeless romantic I think this movie will let you down as much as it let me down.

If this is Hollywood's idea as the new happy enging, that seems rather sad.




Todd Says:


2.5 STARS


You may have figured out by now that Romantic Comedies are not really my thing. Sometimes it's hard for me to watch them, and even harder to review them. This is one of those times. I basically feel unqualified to talk about this movie. Like a dentist doing brain surgery.


Anyway, it wasn't bad. It was less predictable than it could have been. It wasn't overly moving either though. I can't imagine even the weepiest of girly-girls crying at this one. It was just your average Chick Flick, I mean Romantic Comedy.


If that is your cup of tea then you'll probably enjoy this, but then again I warned you that I'm out of my league here.

No comments: