Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Stop-Loss


(2008)


Todd Says:

3 STARS

Stop Loss is a depressing look at the politics of today's military and the war in Iraq. It is well written but very dark and a little hopeless. The cast does a good job with it, giving a convincing picture of today's soldiers fighting a war that they either don't believe in, or that they believe is being mishandled.

This movie is not for everyone, as the subject matter is quite political as well as pessemistic. I think that a lot of people will have trouble with this one for one reason or another, but at the same time I think that it's worth watching.



Alexis says:

2 STARS

I saw the trailer for this movie and I must say that it was well done. It made this movie look very interesting and I really wanted to see it. The movie on the other hand was not very good. I couldn't get over Philipe's annoying Texan accent, I couldn't seem to care about Cornish's boyfriend problems and I felt that the overall theme of this movie, soldiers getting stop-lossed could have been more moving with a better writer and story. The most moving thing in the entire movie was Gordon-Levitt's subplot about a man who wants nothing more than to be a soldier and yet his poor conduct leads to an army that doesn't want him.

Overall, the movie was just a letdown for me. I was interested in the plotline. I was unaware that so many soldiers were being stop-lossed in the War on Iraq so that was educational and interesting. I didn't mind the political undertones. I just didn't care much for the story and character they put out there for you to feel bad about.

It's an interesting enough movie, I just don't think that is enough to award higher stars.

No comments: