Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Sleepers


(1996)

Alexis says:

3.5 STARS

The first time I viewed this movie, shortly after it originally came out, I thought it was so depressing I may never watch it or any other Kevin Bacon movie ever again, but I love She's Having a Baby so much that I couldn't do that so the other night I agreed to viewing this movie again.

And I am so glad that I did.

Because even though it is a rather sad tale, it is a rather well told tale. Based on Lorenzo Carcaterra's book by the same name (and supposedly based on real events) the movie is so intrigiung that I don't really care if it is true or not, but I hope that it isn't. The way a mistake can effect the rest of your life. The impact that cruel people and their actions can have on others. The way that some people are just inherently stronger than others when it comes to overcoming extremely difficult situations. The lengths one will go to for revenge. The grip of childhood friendships.

This is one of the best movies we have seen in a long time, and though it is a brutal tale, it is nonetheless good.



Todd Says:

4.5 STARS

This is one of those top notch movies that should be in everyone's top 20 list, but somehow managed to slip through the cracks. It disturbs me that so many people have never even heard of this movie.

This is a crime/revenge/coming-of-age movie about four kids growing up in New York. It is powerful and touching.




1 comment:

Sue said...

Sleepers has been on our top 20 list for a long time.

It is sad, but we like it.