Wednesday, July 23, 2008

The Dark Knight





(2008)

Sue says:

3.5 Stars

I really wanted to love this movie. I'll start with the good. The acting, which I thought was great. To be fair it's an action/comic book movie, not Out of Africa, so when I say great, I'm grading on the comic book scale. Heath Ledger's Joker was everything promised and more. He was transformed. I found myself a few times trying to see if I could see Heath at all. Christian Bale is my favorite Batman, he makes me believe that it's hard to be a hero. Aaron Ekhart, Morgan Freeman, Gary Oldham, all very enjoyable. I'm not a big Maggie Gyllenhaal fan, to me she always seems to come off a little self-righteous no matter what the role, and this was no exception.

The movie is action packed and the effects were fabulous. Technically speaking it was a great movie. The bad guys were bad, the cops corrupt, and the Bat conflicted. When all is said and done of course, justice prevails, for now anyway.

The problem for me is that it was just a little too dark. A little too hopeless. I couldn't really get past the pity I felt for all of Gotham's residents, even the Joker. I wanted him to check into Markham, get some plastic surgery and be redeemed.

*One last thing, on my soapbox. If you are thinking of taking a child to see this movie, by child I mean anyone under 15, PLEASE screen it first. In our theater last night there were young children(under 5), this movie is absolutely rated PG-13 for a reason. Be responsible.

Todd Says:

4 STARS

This is the second film that we've seen in the theatre all year, and I think that it was worth it. I do very much enjoy Chirstopher Nolan's vision for the Dark Knight, and I'm glad that he and Hollywood have decided to reinvigorate the franchise. (God knows that everyone regrets that little Mr. Freeze fiasco.)

Too Dark? That depends. It depends on what you want from a story about a man driven to the brink of insanity by grievous loss, who decides to take justice into his own hands no matter what the personal cost to himself. I feel that premise gives you a little leeway to dip into the nearly macabre when you need to.

And the VILLAINS! I don't know about you but that is what has always brought me back to the Batman stories. Such wonderful, colorful, maniacal villains. Heath Ledger does a great Joker, a different Joker than I'm used to, and I've seen my fair share of Joker Incarnations, but a wonderful, twistedly insane "engine of chaos." That's all that I'd like to say on that point, I think that Ledger was a great actor, but I hate to deify a dead junkie.

Bale and Oldman are great, as usual as the conflicted good guys trying to do as much right as possible without breaking too many rules. I think that Aaron Eckhart was brilliant as the goody-goody District Attorney, Harvey Dent.

So go out and pay your $10 per person and help this monster break some more records.

Alexis says:

4.5 STARS

For my second venture into the theatre this year I chose The Dark Knight and what a dark story it was, but overwhelmingly written and acted it was. Maybe it's the fact that Nolan was so involved, maybe it was Ledger's incredible performance, maybe it was the story but the fact is that whatever went into this movie just worked.

I am not as big a fan of the comic genre or Batman even as a lot of other people I know but I thoroughly enjoyed Batman begins as well as Christian Bale's Batman. I was happy to see Bale as well as many of the other actors return in the Dark Knight. I got a little hopeful at the beginning that Scarecrow had returned but alas it wasn't so, maybe in a later sequel? But even with Scrarecrow mournful absent the villians in this movie were well written and portrayed. Ledger's perfromance as the Joker almost lives up to the hype but it was pleasing enough that I won't take anything away from it (not that I even could). My biggest worry is that all the focus gets shifted to Ledger when Oldman, Bale and Eckhart are all as equally impressive (if not more so) in thier roles.

I was a little nervous because I had read many news articles over the weekend about different records The Dark Knight had replaced, I was worried that people are just too willing to drop $10 on anything. Turns out The Dark Knight met if not exceeded all of my expectations. Here's to the sequel!

1 comment:

The Running Couple said...

I was hoping for a 5 Star, too bad. And to think we almost got Ricky and Lucy to stay here and watch the twins so we could see it. I guess we can wait a little while. I would still like to see it but I am not in as big a rush anymore.