Thursday, August 7, 2008

Far From Heaven

(2002)


Todd Says:

3.5 STARS



I thought that this was an unexpectedly powerful movie about social taboos in the 1950's. I must admit that it caught me a little off gaurd, as I wasn't sure where it was going from the beginning. But let me tell you, it is a bumpy journey.

The main character, played by Julianne Moore, is somewhere between strikingly naive and over-poweringly idealistic. This duality in her nature works, and I really felt a connection with her. Dennis Quaid plays her husband, with a dark secret of his own to come to terms with. The acting was good, as was the cinematagraphy.

Overall I was presently surprised with this one. I highly recommend it to anyone who loves a nice complicated dramas.



Alexis says:



3 STARS

This timepiece was not quite the gem I had hoped it would be but it is an interesting story of taboo circumstances in the 1950's (and even today?). Julianne Moore is never that great an actress in my opinion and what I mean is I always see Moore, never the person she is portraying and I really didn't feel as though this was any exception. She just didn't seem believable. Dennis Quaid and Dennis Haysbert were rather good however and at times I wished the film focused more on their characters than Moore's. For those interested in a good real-life drama, I would recommend this film as a backup choice.

No comments: