Friday, August 8, 2008

The Eye

(2008)

Todd Says:

2 STARS



I'll start out by saying that for what it was this was a pretty good movie. I am no fan of the modern horror movie. I feel like most of them are far to similar in style (the ghosts and the gore all seem the same to me), and short on substance. This is not to say that the last generation of horror movies, or even classic horror movies for that matter, were as a genre all that impressive to me. Formulaic is the word that I would use to describe 90% of all horror movies.



But, The Eye wasn't so bad. It didn't stray far from the tried and true horror movie formula, but the acting was decent. I've seen a lot worse. It is a remake of a Japanese or Chinese movie (which has also become very popular is this genre) which I haven't seen so I can't make a comparison. I will say that if it weren't for remakes there would probably be no more horror movies.



Every once in a while we still get treated with a new idea in the form of a horror movie, unfortunately this isn't one of those times. The story is about a blind girl who gets an eye transplant and all manner of evilness ensues. I think that I remember a movie from the '80's or early '90's with a similar storyline, except that it was an evil arm transplant.



So my final verdict is this: If you really like horror movies, well then you've probably already seen this. If you don't necessarily like the genre but don't mind a good horror movie every now and then, then you could do worse than The Eye. If you like good movies, then don't bother with this one.

Alexis says:

3 STARS

I am not a horror movie fan. I don't like to watch them because they tend to have a lot of senseless gore and graphic scenes that I can do without so when this movie came up for review I was less than thrilled about the prospect. Fortunately, Jessica Alba was not terrible and the story was digestible.

The story was reminiscent of White Noise or The Sixth Sense and there was little or no senseless violence. The story wasn't the most original thing to come to Hollywood but if we are honest with ourselves there are less and less original stories coming out of Hollywood all the time. I think this movie would be prefect for those who love a good jump once in a while and lean towards thrillers over horror movies.

No comments: