Wednesday, August 27, 2008

The Darjeeling Limited




(2007)





Alexis says:

3.5 STARS



Let me begin by saying that I really loved The Royal Tenenbaums and that I hold Wes Anderson to a really high standard because of it, possibly too high for his own good, and I was really looking forward to this film.


That being said this film wasn't a complete disappointment. I thought it was funny and quirky and the shooting excellent. The panning and scene set-ups (excuse my lack of filming vocabulary) were great. Wilson and Brody, two of my favorite actors were dead on and Schwartzman did his thing but I am never particularly impressed with his thing.

The DVD included 'The Hotel Chevalier' a short film meant to be seen before the full length film, I couldn't help but feel that The Darjeeling Limited would have been perhaps a little better if I hadn't seen this short film and I suggest that if you are given the chance you skip this short film. I usually really like Portman but she and everything else about it were just below par.

But The Darjeeling Limited should at the very least go on your 'should see' list. You do have movie lists right? Everyone should have movie lists, if you don't have one go ahead and start one and then go ahead and put this on your list.

Todd Says:

3 STARS

This film was good, but not great. It gives us a close look at the dymanics of brotherhood. Although these three characters are pretty weird brothers, they still have fairly basic personality traits that most of us can relate to, siblings or not.

The delivery of the story and the story itself are good, but sometimes come up a little short. Although there were a few powerful scenes that are truly moving. The movie felt like it took a long time to get nowhere, and then ending somewhat abruptly.

All in all, it's worth watching if you're into character movies, but otherwise I think you're going to end up bored with this one.

No comments: