Tuesday, September 16, 2008

The Seventh Sign

(1988)

Todd Says:

2 STARS

This movie tries to overcome what it is and become a serious suspenseful drama, but it doesn't do a very good job. The Seventh Sign is basically a horror movie, and as horror movies go it isn't all that bad. However, if I was to grade this movie on the Suspense Movie scale (which is what I think it wants to be) it would fare much worse. (I could easily list more than seven signs that this is a bad movie.)


There are plenty of options to choose from if you are looking for a Religious End-Times-Are-Near movie, and this isn't the first one that I would recommend. But, all that said, this movie is twenty years old and it does try hard to be chilling. Maybe twenty years ago this was would have been a convincing thriller, now not so much.


So, I'm not saying that you should never watch this, but if you want to see a top notch religious thriller let me recommend Fallen.


Alexis says:

1.5 STARS

This film has not aged well or at least it hasn't aged well with me. When this movie came out, my sister and I loved it. We were so interested in the end of the world-Revelation references and for a while we were as interested in reading the bible as in playing outside. But watching the movie the other night I was trying hard to determine if the movie was always this unintriguing or if the movie just didn't age well.

I think that it's a little of both. First of all, who ever thought that Demi Moore was a great actress? She is pretty, I will give her that, but she seems the same in every role I have ever seen her in. If I am wrong, please recommend something, I would love to see her really 'act'. I know that she was really popular at the time but I think that a better, more talented actress could have helped this film.

I still don't mind the story but I don't care for David, God's messanger, either his acting or what was written for him. I feel that with a little cleverness this story could have been better. I just feel that the movie seemed to drag on and on and then boom, there's your climax and it's over. It just left me unsatisfied.

No comments: