Thursday, September 25, 2008

Raging Bull

(1980)

Todd Says:







1 STARS







Raging Bull may just be one of those movies that you either love or hate, without much possibility of middle ground. I'm not one of those diehard Scorsese fans who love everything he does. On the contrary, I think that his movies are overly similiar in both style and context. Raging Bull proved to be no exception for me.







This movie being very early on in both De Niro's and Pesci's careers, I still see the same old tough-guy gangster performance from both of them in almost every scene. The story is about an emotionally unstable boxer whose life slowly unravels due to his temper and paranoia. I found it hard to feel any real sympathy for the guy, as Scorsese doesn't really round him out very well.







If you like sports movies, this really isn't one. The fights are so abridged to make room for the out of the ring violence that you never really find yourself caring about the boxer's career. If you are a true Scorsese or De Niro fan than this is probably worth a watch for you, but mostly, I'm just tired of the same old same old from these guys.


Alexis says:

1 STAR

Often movies come out that are 'based' on real events or real people and sometimes even based on personal memoirs, such as Raging Bull, which was based on boxer Jake LaMotto's book. However, the screen play was rewritten and rewritten and eventually (and supposedly) the final draft was written by De Niro and Scorsese. So when I say that I don't like this film I believe I am being more critical of the director and the direction he took this story in than I am being critical of LaMotta's life.

I didn't care for the jagged filming with short fight scenes, this is a movie about a boxer right? I am not surprised that this movie got mixed reviews, but am surprised at it's now cult-like status. De Niro and Pesci aren't bad, but they aren't great either. It's impressive that De Niro got in such great shape to play the younger LaMotta and then gained sixty pounds to play the older LaMotto, but that isn't enough to make this a 5 star performance in my opinion.

I just wanted it to be over, I kept hoping for a point and checking the time. I couldn't feel sorry for LaMotta and his bad choices and selfish behavior and I didn't really care for the scene sequencing or the lack of fighting in a supposed boxing movie. I am still having a hard time seeing what all the fuss is about and wondering if I just don't get Scorsese.

No comments: