Monday, September 1, 2008

21







(2008)



Alexis says:



2.5 STARS



Las Vegas seems less and less appealing all the time and so do movies about gambling. This is another one of those films that I had high expectations for but left me wanting a little more, wondering where have all the goods films gone.



Having just seen another film about Las Vegas gambling I was not at all impressed with this film. It seemed gimicky and I had a hard time feeling for any of the smart, cocky characters in the film which happens to be a huge downfall when I watch a movie. Well written, well acted characters are so much a part of good films and I found myself rolling my eyes and getting bored with the characters and their sorry scenarios. The 'love' story was rushed and unconvincing, I am often wondering why directors and writers think that every film needs a love story, I am of the opinion that if you aren't going to develop the love story, just leave it out completely.



Producer Kevin Spacey was good as usual and he had to be far and away my favorite thing about this film, sometime I just have to wonder why he gets involved in some of the films that he gets involved in, does he have higher expectations of them too?



The ending was a little transparent but it wasn't all bad. I still had no compassion for any of the characters but I at least felt like rooting for the 'good' guys. In addition to the ending the Las Vegas scenes were eye catching but the gambling aspect of Las Vegas just gets less and less appealing all the time.


Todd Says:

2 STARS

I found 21 to be one of those films that I could tell what was coming from the very beginning. Maybe I knew too much about the story from the History Channel documentary that I saw a couple of years ago, but then again this one was based only loosely on actually events.

For all of the flash and sparkle of this film, I found it rather lacking in the acting department. The story, which is quite a stretch from the story that inspired it, is engaging enough I suppose, the total package just doesn't pull everything together like you'd hope.

The trailer is better than the movie, as is too often the case these days, but if you're into flamboyant getting-one-over-on-the-man movies then you might enjoy this on.

No comments: