Monday, September 15, 2008

The Promotion

(2008)

Todd Says:

4 STARS


This movie really caught me off guard, and I mean that in a really good way. I mean when I see Seann William Scott and John C. Reilly are the stars of a movie I expect a lot of low-brow comedy based on two ridiculously stupid characters. This is not that movie.


The Promotion is a touching film that borders on depressing at times. The two main characters are assistant managers of a grocery store fighting for the (you guessed it) same promotion. But instead of a bunch of juvenile eye-poking and crotch kicking, the lengths that these two men go to for this job will break your heart.

I think that it was supposed to be a comedy, but I would file it under light-weight drama. And I enthusiastically suggest that you watch this movie.

Alexis says:

3.5 STARS

I love it when both a film and the leading roles in a film surprise me, this film did both. Everything that I have seen starring either Scott or Reilly is strict comedy. But both of them are so good at their comedy that I was interested in The Promotion. The Promotion is funny but it is much more than that, it is honest and touching. Scott and Reilly can be much more than simply comedic stars. The characters are real and the situations common, but the film takes these real life common occurences and makes them funny and sad.

My first job was at a grocery store, I worked with people exactly like this, I worked with Scott and Reilly. You want to give them advice on how to straighten their lives out but instead you just watch and enjoy.

No comments: