Thursday, September 11, 2008

Babel

(2006)


Todd Says:

1 STAR


Somebody please help me understand how the Academy decides something is a Masterpiece. And don't get me started on Rex Reed again.

Let me start with the good points about this movie, because that won't take long. First, it is a very touching and sad story. It does point out that people all over the world have problems very similar to our own, and that we shouldn't look down on those not fortunate enough to be born in America. But that's about it.

On the down side, we decided that we would watch this movie the way it was released in theaters, without subtitles. Bad move. Unless you happen to be fluent in Japanese, English, Spanish, Moroccan Arabic and Sign Language then I highly recommend that you use the subtitles option available on the DVD. Otherwise you will be wasting 2 1/2 hours on this movie (just like I did). Somewhere I got the impression that this movie was going to transend the language barrier, that art was more powerful than mere words. I was wrong.

Also, the story simply isn't that compelling. This movie is proof that enough hype can sell anything. Don't waste your time with this one.

Alexis says:

0.5 STARS

I am really torn. I want to tell you that this movie is beautifully filmed and the scenes are put together well, but I would just be searching for something to give this boring, less than intriguing, 143 minute film.

As mentioned we watched this film as it was released in theatres. And we were not impresses, instead we became almost bored. I kept hoping that I was going to get the director's point but I just found myself losing interest and finding that most, if not all, of the characters in this film, were just extrememly selfish, but then again I couldn't have understood the message fully because I could only infer what was going on in 75% of it. So you want to prove a point about language barriers and universal emotions, why not make that message more like 60 minutes or 45 even.

I kept wondering if Brad Pitt and Cate Blanchett were given big paychecks to attach their names to this piece in hopes of getting publicity and viewers, I was just less than thrilled. So maybe I don't see the art in it, maybe I don't see how all the stories are really that linked, maybe subtitles would have helped but I just can't in good conscience recommend this movie to anyone.

2 comments:

George said...

I also tried watching the movie without subtitles. It makes a little more sense if you watch the subtitles, but not a whole lot. I was very disappointed. What passes for artistic editing these days is too often just annoying mismash. George

The Running Couple said...

I couldn't agree with you more.