Sunday, September 21, 2008

The Interpreter




(2005)



Todd Says:





3.5 STARS





This is a pretty good political suspense drama, and being an anti-fan of Nicole Kidman's typical work, I will admit that she does a pretty decent job here. The whole cast does actually. The whole crew does, but this movie just never reaches the level of greatness that it's trying for.





Sean Penn, who is almost always great, plays a character so bogged down with his own irrelevant side story, which is never explored very deeply, that he has a hard time getting you to focus. Which may or may not have been the writer's or director's intentions. But the sublte difference between a conflicted hero and a confused one are easily lost here.





Nicole Kidman is left to carry this movie almost alone, even in the company of such great talent, and she does a good job. Her character is the story, so I won't go too deep, but this is a rich and well told character. Good work Kidman, Penn I want to see you after practice.





At the end, after we've seen the story and mystery unravel we're confronted again with a painful scene about Penn's character elusive past trama. But, if you can get past that, or maybe even into it, I think that you'll like this one. It will be worth your time, I think.




Alexis says:

3 STARS

When this film came out I was skeptical because of Nicole Kidman who can do both good and not so good work but I decided that I wanted to see it because of what seemed like an intriguing plot and Sean Penn who is almost always good.

The only disappointment here was Penn who's character was more than just a little bit of a letdown, not only did the character seem not well written but also poorly acted. Aside from Penn's federal agent gone boring the film had a lot to offer, there was suspense and drama and not to much effort into turning Penn and Kidman into lovers (boy do I hate when films go that route without cause or desire from the story).

The story was well thought out (except maybe for Penn's background) and well carried out. I had my guesses but it kept you wondering until the climax just what exactly was going on. It sursprises me even to say this, but this wasn't all that bad of a political crime thriller.

No comments: