Friday, May 23, 2008

Insomnia



Alexis says:



4 STARS



I am a fan of crime dramas, and this one is pretty good. If I could make only one suggestion to this film it would be WHY Pacino? I just don't get him. I have seen many Pacino films and with the exception of Dog Day Afternoon, I have never been all that impressed by his acting. Are people just so in love with Pacino's Tony Montana of Scarface that they look past his poor acting ability in other movies?




Other than Pacino however I found this film to be pretty good in every other way. I thought the story was strong and despite a small bit of predictability the movie still managed to surprise you and leave you holding on waiting for the next scene. Robin Williams wasn't incredible but his performances in dramas such as these give me hope that the comedian can truly act.



As a fan of this movie genre, I enjoyed this film. Had William Petersen or someone else whom I enjoy more than Pacino played the leading role I may have given this film another half a star.





Todd Says:

3 STARS

Insomnia is a thoughtful crime suspense-thriller, set in a small town in Alaska where the sun doesn't go down during the summer. Al Pacino, as the main character in the movie, does alright. You see, I'm not one of those Pacino fans who think that the man is great. I often find myself, after watching one of his movies, trying to figure out why everybody else thinks he is so great. This was another one of those times. This movie could maybe have been great, but I feel like Pacino does nearly the same thing every time.

Robin Williams was good, but again not great. It's nice to see him trying to diversify and play some bad guy roles, but I feel like he is capable of better. Hillary Swank does a good job, but her part between those two giants comes across as insignificant and small.

All in all, if you dig crime or suspense movies you'll like it. If you are a member of the Church of Pacino the Great, then I'm sure you'll like it too. But if you're looking for something great, this just isn't it.

No comments: