Saturday, May 3, 2008

Chinatown


(1974)

Todd Says:

4.5 STARS

Let me just start by saying that it is an extremely welcome surprise to watch a Mystery (Suspense/Thriller/or whatever) where you don’t know exactly what is going to happen by the third scene. Somehow this movie was made in 1974 (a wonderful year for great original things) and we’ve never seen it until now. I’m glad we did, and I’m sorry we waited so long.
Everything about this movie was top notch. The story. The Cast. The mood. Even Los Angeles. It is nice to see a gritty detective movie that isn’t just the same old thing redone. But of course, this is one of the originals, and if it hasn’t been redone yet, I’m sure that it’s been ripped off. Anyway, it’s definitely worth seeing, so if you haven’t yet, go see it.


Alexis says:

4.5 Stars

This movie was good and I don’t even really like Jack Nicholson. Maybe this is why people do. This was one of the best mystery movies I have ever seen. So often now days I see a preview or watch a few minutes of a movie and know exactly where it is headed but this movie had rich character and plot development and left me guessing until the very end. The main character was smart but made mistakes and seemed real, usually you have a protagonist who is just too good to be real but Nicholson’s character was well written and well acted. Writers and Director’s today could learn something from China Town. This movie is very, very good.

2 comments:

James said...

One of the reasons the movie is so good is because it's inspired by real events. For a historical perspective, read this book: Cadillac Desert. It's 600 pages about one of the most interesting, but rarely discussed, parts of American history. Our REAL environmental impact is in this literary piece and it has nothing to do with the media infatuation with gas mileage or recycling. I highly, highly recommend it, especially if you've already been given a taste of the story through "Chinatown."

And if you don't believe me, check out the nearly 100 positive reviews on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Cadillac-Desert-American-Disappearing-Revised/dp/0140178244/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1210070900&sr=8-1

The Running Couple said...

Wow, I didn't realize that. I looked the review up of that book and even the most critical review wasn't 'bad'. 25 more days and I'm getting that and the clutter book (my camera has so been worth it). We love books and history so we will definitely check it out, thanks!