Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Bend It Like Beckham


Todd Says:


Why Bother


I'm actually sorry to have to be writing this review. You see my wife and I had a bit of a misunderstanding. She saw this movie when it first came out (5 years ago) and I could have sworn that she said that it was good. So we saw it for $5 at Target and I suggested that we pick it up, she didn't argue. I think that what she meant was: "I saw that movie when it came out and it really sucked, but maybe you want to watch it anyway."
Anyway, this is a movie about two jealous bickering British girls who are both in love with their coach. Oh, did I mention that they play soccer, that is supposed to be, but really isn't important. In my opinion this movie suffers from an identity crisis. It can't decide whether it is a Disneyesque feel good sports movie, a Sex In The City style cat fight movie, or a social commentary movie about the differences and similarities between a minority culture and the mainstream.
Long story short, it just doesn't work. The acting is sub-par. The dialog is mostly forced and contrived. The plot itself has been beaten to death by a ruthless movie industry hungry again for the price of admission from the same old sentimental saps who want the underdog to struggle terribly but eventually overcome.

Don't waste your time.


Alexis says:
1.5 STARS
This movie may have been a little confused as to whether it was a love story, a sports movie or a coming of age feel good but I also think that these things can mesh together well occasionally. Maybe they tried with this movie but they missed the target a little. Viewed in the mind set that this is mostly made for teenage girls I think the movie does a rather good job with delving into teenage rebellion, fighting over the same crush, playing sports and learning how to make Indian food. Viewed in the mind set that other people outside of the teenage girl bracket may ever want to watch it, this movie is a little annoying, a little sappy, a little funny, a little educational and a little bit of a letdown.
If you have gotten use to 'chick flicks' out today that seem to be more and more directed towards guys this movie may be quite annoying as their aren't a lot of unintelligent annoying quips constantly by the male cast. I think this movie is probably best enjoyed with female company as most true chick flicks.
I thought Todd would enjoy the ranting on about Beckham and Hamm. I don't care for soccer all that much and I suggested this movie to the wrong bracket.


No comments: