Thursday, May 8, 2008

Breach (2007)





Alexis says:


4 STARS


I knew very little going into my viewing of Breach. I was not aware of Robert Hanssen or of his arrest following a lifetime of espionage that involved selling American information to Russians for more than 22 years. Cooper is riveting as Hanssen, the FBI agent turned spy.

I was a little let down by Phillipe and Caroline Dhavernas as the O'Neill's, I just wasn't personally moved or convinced by thier characters and that was the only real drawback in this movie for me. Fortunately, Cooper and Linney carry the show and too much isn't lost.

Overall, I wasn't expecting a lot from this movie and it surprised me how good it was which is always excellent.

Todd Says:

4 STARS

I love a good spy movie, and this was a good spy movie. A true story with a twist, both the good guys and the bad guys are Americans. Chris Cooper is awesome. He's one of those guys that you see in a hundred different movies as a supporting actor, always doing a good job, but never quite expect to see him take center stage. I don't know that I've ever seen him do a bad job, even in a bad movie, but he was excellent here.

Laura Linney and Ryan Phillipe were good but not as captivating as Cooper. Even the guy from the Allstate commercials was good. This movie, I suppose, is a suspense thriller, and it does a good job of keeping you in suspense. It's not a Borne-type spy movie though, so if you need a good dose of action to make it through a movie this is probably not one for you.

I would highly recomend you dedicating two hours of your life to the enjoyment of this film. You can even use the true historical account spin to help rationalize it if you need to.

No comments: