Tuesday, May 20, 2008

City Slickers


Todd Says:


3.5 STARS


I feel a little uneasy calling a silly Billy Crystal movie about cowboys a classic, but this one just may turn out to be timeless. It's seventeen years old, but still actually quite relevant. Both the point of the story and the jokes have stood the test of time.

Billy Crystal may not be the most versitile actor around, but his usual wise-cracking insecure goofball character works pretty good here. The whole cast does a good job getting the point across. What is the point? That sometimes you just need to look at life from a different perspective.

This is definately a movie that is worth seeing if you haven't. And if it's been seventeen years, go ahead and give it another viewing, I think that it holds up.


Alexis Says:


3.5 STARS

I believe when this movie was released in '91 my father saw it at the theatre and told me that it was a very good movie about three grown men from the city who were each experiencing their own mid-life crisis and decide to become cattle herders. At my age and with this description not appealing to me at the time, I passed it up. So recently we were at Target and Todd suggests this 'classic' film. I remember my dad liking it and I figured why not.


Well, I was probably right, when this film came out in '91 I probably wouldn't have enjoyed it and maybe never even watched it again, but viewing it now, 17 years later, it had a completely different impact on me. This film was funny and yet almost dramatic at times. This film was charming and could even be called a western, my least favorite next to gorey horror films. And yet, I really really enjoyed this film.


Whether you've never seen this film or you just haven't seen it in a while I recommend viewing it. I thought it was pretty good. So why not a higher rating? I think I am becoming a bit of a film snob and holding on to my four and five star rating for 'blow me away films' which this movie did not. I still recommend you see it.

No comments: