Thursday, April 10, 2008

No Country For Old Men


Todd Says:

4 STARS

I think that No Country For Old Men is as good of a character movie I’ve seen in a long time. None of the characters are what you’d want them to be, but that doesn’t mean they’re not well done (both written and acted). From the beaten-down sheriff (Tommy Lee Jones) to the completely deranged killer (Javier Bardem) the characters in this movie are extremely well developed.

Sure, there is a lot of gore along the way as we follow the hapless moron who finds a bunch of money and is stalked by the maniacal killer all across Texas. Sure, the story doesn’t have a happy ending, or beginning, or middle. Sure, this movie leaves you feeling a little frightened to go out in public. Sure, you probably won’t know how to feel about the ‘good guys’ in this movie. But, you will really be scared of the ‘bad guy,’ and I think that that shows talented film-making.

It’s maybe not a movie you’ll watch over and over, but I do think it’s a movie you should see. There is a lot of talent in this film, both in front of and behind the camera, and it is definitely a worth while watch.




Alexis Says:


3 STARS
It isn't that I totally dislike No Country For Old Men it's that it was not what I expected, I was let down and I thought the ending left a lot to be desired. I wanted my opinion of this movie to change so much that I waited a few days to write my review but even now I feel that the movie was a let down.
That being said I will add that Javier Bardem's character was incredible and won the 3 stars all himself that this movie earned. Bardem's madman is so convincing I was afraid to keep watching. It was believable to the point of making you fear convenient stores and rest stops. His voice, the volume and tone. His stern look. The way he carries his body when he walks. All chilling in the most terrifying way.
But even with an award worthy performance such as Bardem's, I was left feeling underwhelmed.

No comments: