Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Dan In Real Life


Alexis says:

3 Stars


A not too sappy comedy about a widower raising three daughters (whom at least one of borders on brathood) who goes on vacation with his extended family and falls in love with a woman who turns out to be...his brother's girlfriend. You can imagine all the fun that ensues.

I would have liked this movie a little better if I didn't find it so similar to 'The Family Stone'. Siblings swapping partners is becoming a common theme in Hollywood? I will say that I feel that this movie did the sibling swapping with more taste and allows me to be contented with the ending that I won't spoil for you here.


Steve Carell is not always funny to me though I know that most Americans disagree (I like him in the Office) but I think this movie branches on being a drama and he is likable and entertaining in this tale.


This movie leaves me longing for a more tight-knit family and a parent styled 'Dear Dan' column in my own local paper. It is worth making your list of movies to view and Carell fans may enjoy it even more than I did.



Todd Says:

2.5 STARS

In my opinion a Feel-Good Movie should make you feel good, didn't happen. This movie was fairly well done for an un-original story. I mean it's like beating a dead horse, even if you do it with flair, what's the point. There is nothing new to see here, except...

Steve Carell could be a decent actor. Other than his work on The Office, I've only been able to enjoy him in Little Miss Sunshine (which by the way is an excellent movie). Carell does very well with this role, but it's a role that is a little too cliche for my taste.

All in all I think that this film just doesn't get it done. There were too many times when I found myself knowing what was coming, and hoping that I was wrong. I wasn't. But if you are interested in a predictable, feel good clone then this movie should go on your list.

2 comments:

Sue said...

I think, unfortunately for Steve Carell, The Office is really his thing, other things are NOT his thing. (the exception being Little Miss Sunshine, which I loved. Not just him, the whole movie).

Some examples of this are-
Matt Leblanc-Friends
Jason Alexander-Seinfeld
Bart Simpson-The Simpsons

The Running Couple said...

I don't know, I think that Bart has some serious potential. If he could only land a good lead role in an upcoming Section Eight film I think that he could suprise alot of people.

-Ward