Sunday, March 30, 2008

Reign Over Me

(2007)
Todd Says:

4 STARS

Happy Gilmore as a traumatized survivor in a serious drama acting opposite Don ‘the incredible’ Cheadle? Yes, it does work. It works beautifully. Who knew Adam Sandler had it in him. (I know, I know, Spanglish wasn’t terrible, but…)
This movie works on every level for me. It’s depressing yet hopeful, it’s humorous yet serious, it’s tragic and it’s real. It’s a roller coaster that you need to ride, as Sandler’s character deals with issues darker than anyone should have to and Cheadle’s character deals with his own demons. See it, see it now. But let me warn you, if you are the crying type bring a hanky.

Alexis says:

4.5 STARS

I like Adam Sandler, I am not a fan of every Happy Madison film but I can appreciate some of them. But Sandler’s performance in Reign is so incredibly unlike him, so brilliant, so believable that I have to remind myself who I am watching. Sandler’s grief stricken widow performance is solid and convincing, tissue worthy and thought provoking. You root for Sandler’s character and applaud his strength in the aftermath of such a terrible accident. This is by far Sandler’s best performance in a film to date.

The movie on a whole is first-rate. It is one of those films that are beautiful, yet sad; heartbreaking, yet optimistic. Don Cheadle, whose performance is equally as touching, and Sandler work together magnificently and the outcome is a must see film.

Go ahead already, go see it.

No comments: