Sunday, March 30, 2008

Death of a Salesman

(1985)
Alexis Says:



3.5 STARS


This is perhaps my favorite play and I admit I was eager to see this particular production. But it didn't let me down. Hoffman pulls off the sadness, the failure, the unwillingness to accept defeat that is Willy Loman and Malkovich tries again and again to steal the show as Loman's eldest son, Biff. The scenes are gripping and even more so when you realize how simple the set and camera work are. These actors are crafting beautiful scenes with their talent alone (and maybe the help of a wonderfully written piece of literature). Though I would rather go and watch a play in a theater than view one on my television I was overall impressed by this take on such a classic tragedy. I would recommend it alone for the scene in which Biff pleads with his father to accept him for whom he really is, maybe the best thing I have ever seen Malkovich in, maybe not, but worth a view nonetheless.

Todd Says:

4 STARS

I'm not a huge fan of plays turned into films, but this is done well. It still feels like a play. The scenes are framed in obvious stage sets and the tone is so somber. Hoffman and Malcovich are supurb. But I guess the real credit goes to Miller, whose work was translated honestly. Death of a Salesman is definately something everyone should see at least once. Tragic.


I'm realising that I love tragedy.

No comments: