Sunday, October 19, 2008

Saw II





(2005)


Alexis says:


1 STAR


So remember I said I finally saw Saw after all these years? Well, I liked it so much that we immediately viewed Saw II (picked up after Thanksgiving for $3 last year). And what can I say but ...yuck?



Really I can say a lot more than that. It is so obvious that Saw did so well and made so much money that now they are just going to keep spitting them out until no one goes to see them and people will still probably go and see them because most people like horror movies no matter how bad they suck, the more blood the better. But I thought this movie was everything I dislike about the genre, overly gorey, too much blood and unnecessary violence, lacking plot and bad acting. Where as the first film had an intriguing thought out plot this movie was obviously made with little or no worry for a storyline. The box says "Yes, there will be blood." And there is, a lot of it. Too much to keep me interested in seeing any more Saw movies.


And I don't want to spoil the film for you but I feel that they took a good plot and ruined it with this film. I would recommend that they stop hurting the first film but I am a little too late as they are already up to the fifth installment. I don't recommend this film to anyone. I would, I suppose recommend it to people who like lots of blood and annoying, unintelligent characters that you almost cheer on their imminent demise.

Todd Says (reluctantly):

1 STAR

Saw II is alot like Friday the 13th 2 where they take a good scary story with a believable villain, and do their best to recycle it. The thing is, it works at the box-office. People would still be lining up to see Jason killing campers in interesting and provocative ways if they hadn't run out of ideas and sent him to space and then to hell. The secret to selling tickets to these movies is blood, the more the better. I've actually got this idea for a movie where I'm just going to set up a camera in a slaughter house, edit it for 90 minutes of the best blood spurting-dismemberment I can catch on film, and get someone with a deep creepy voice to narrate a story over it. What do you think?

But really, this movie wasn't very good. I mean lets face it (SPOILER ALERT) how many times have we seen a group of not very smart people trapped in a situation where they slowly get killed off one by one. The only thing about this movie that doesn't totally wreak of lameness is that it keeps to its own invention, and the people are killed by booby-traps and not a masked phsyco. But at least if there was a masked phsyco you might be able to feel sorry for these people, but come on when you stick your hands into a box visibly lined with sharp blades, or crawl into a furnace at the urging of a creepy voice on a tape I can't feel very sorry for you. That is simply Darwin's theory of Natural Selection in action.

So unless you are a die-hard fan of gore for the sake of gore, I DO NOT recommend this movie.

No comments: