Saturday, October 4, 2008

The Mummy Returns


(2001)

Todd Says:




2.75 STARS




This is the model lack-luster sequel. The movie is good, well, it's alright anyway, but it draws it's life solely from the themes and success of it's predecessor. I guess what I am saying is originality is not it's strong point, but then again that seems to be a major theme in Hollywood these days.




Like the first Mummy movie, the action is non-stop and the characters are fun (or evil if that's their thing), but the stunts are a little more unbelievable, and the Rock is quite frankly ridiculous as the Scorpion King.




What it comes down to for me is momentum. Being a follow-up movie to a pretty good movie I expected better. Perhaps if this was a stand alone film I'd have thought more of it, but we may never know.
Alexis says:
2 STARS
This film is far inferior to its predecessor, The Mummy. I can only imagine that the first film did so well that the green light was given to The Mummy Returns without little concern over whether the film was going to be any good. The best thing I can really say about this film is that all of the actors from the first film are back to reprise their roles which I always think is important for sequels.
This film isn't all bad it just isn't all that good either. The movie wasn't all that creative and at times I just rolled my eyes and checked the time, never a good sign for a movie. Everything good had already been presented in the first film. The Mummy was good and it's sequel deserved better.

No comments: